- THANKESTON, a village, in the parish of Covington and Thankeston, Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Covington; containing 113 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated in the eastern part of the parish, and on the west side of the Clyde, which separates the parish from that of Liberton: over the river is a bridge, erected by subscription in 1778. The high road from Biggar to Douglas passes through the village.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Covington and Thankeston — COVINGTON and THANKESTON, a parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Biggar; containing 523 inhabitants. Of these ancient parishes, which were united about the beginning of the 18th century, the former derives … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland